This site uses cookies.     
You are not logged in. Please login.

Login

We are sorry, but posting to this forum is temporarily disabled

Forum Index » Celebrity and Movie Discussions » Lord of the Flies

United Kingdom
10 Jun 2013, 20:54
I have heard there is going to be a remake of lord of the flies. Does anyone know anything about it?
Ireland
11 Jun 2013, 00:30
Which one, the British 1963 version, which was absolutely brilliant, or that rediculous American one that made a mockery of it? If it is the British version, then it will be well worth getting.
I hope someone can cast more light on this.

Long Live World Cinema
United Kingdom
11 Jun 2013, 06:57
I mean the original one in black and white not that more modern color one. That was total trash. I heard it was going to be redone soon. A completely brand new version. The original was one of the best coming of age films ever.
United Kingdom
11 Jun 2013, 08:03
I have heard there is going to be a remake of lord of the flies. Does anyone know anything about it?

I believe the film we are talking about here is the original version from 1963:

"Lord of the Flies" (1963). Director, Peter Brook

http://www.rarefilmfinder.com/showfilm.php?id=35

There is to be a Blu-ray edition of the film released on July 16th, 2013. It will be a newly restored 4K digital film transfer, supervised by Gerald Feil (a cameraman who worked on the film) with an uncompressed monaural soundtrack. There will be extensive bonus material, including a piece of never-before-seen footage entitled, "Something Queer in the Warehouse", shot by the boy actors during the production: this will have a voice-over by Tom Gaman, who played Simon in the film.

As for an actual remake of "Lord of the Flies", rumour has abounded in recent years that a number of influential film makers are considering the idea. The problem they face is that the original is deemed to be such an icon of cinematic history that it would be hard to surpass.
United Kingdom
11 Jun 2013, 08:36
That is good news. I now have a copy of the DVD Criterian Collection version and a friend of mine who has only just watched it for the first time thinks it is absolutely marvellous. They certainly don't make films like that anymore. I saw the American coloured version some time ago and I was not one little bit impressed. Why do these Americans bother to try and emulate something as worthwhile as the good old British classic films?
United Kingdom
11 Jun 2013, 09:52
Aha! So there is life in the forum after all. And about time too!

And what better subject matter to discuss. If there is a BluRay version of the original 1963 film: Lord of the Flies, then I will be one of the first to get it. It sounds quite exciting, and if there is any of the additional footage that was 'Lost' on the cutting room floor, then so much the better. What has always amazed me is that out of over 100 hours of filming, only one and a half hours lands up on the screens. What happened to the shots that were not shown? And, what's more, what happened to the vast amount of stills that were taken?

Peter Pan is alive and well, but which Peter Pan, I hear you ask?
United Kingdom
11 Jun 2013, 11:19
America is the the most productive - and arguably the most gifted - nation on Earth when it comes to making movies. There are countless, superb American films - but the 1990 version of "Lord of the Flies" certainly isn't one of them! Maybe the coming of age genre is not an American strong point (though there are notable exceptions: "Stand By Me" springs to mind). More importantly, "Lord of the Flies" is a quintessentially English story and changing from a preparatory school to a military academy was never going to work. There's something magical about the spontaneity in the 1963 film; the following quotation from an IMDb review seems to sum it up:

What I love most about this cast is that they act like little boys, not little actors, grounding their often awkward actions and behaviors in reality.....

Brook's use of grainy black-and-white photography, plus the lack of any comprehensive musical score (remember Tom Hanks' "Castaway"?), accentuates the bleakness of its surroundings and feelings of isolation......................

By the way, don't waste your time on the 1990 color remake featuring "professionals" like Balthazar Getty. The poetic beauty is all but dissipated in this haphazard, jarringly Americanized update. It makes me worship Peter Brook's version even more.

As for what ended up on the cutting room floor, much still does survive and has found its way into the hands of private collectors. Examples keep coming to light (such as the added bonus material for the forthcoming Blu-ray). The movie was heavily edited, for various reasons, before it reached the cinema. A "director's cut" edition would certainly be of interest to many RFF members were it ever to become available.
United Kingdom
11 Jun 2013, 11:55
Cover art for the forthcoming Blu-ray (release date, 16th July) :

United Kingdom
11 Jun 2013, 12:33
What a stunning piece of artwork! Now that is something that I would love to have as a full-sized poster on my wall. Well done, whoever the artist is!

Peter Pan is alive and well, but which Peter Pan, I hear you ask?
United Kingdom
11 Jun 2013, 12:42
As a new member I am quite intrigued by the level of interest in this wonderful old film, and I have to agree with the gentleman who calls himself MellowDramatic, and as he rightly says, the Americans are capable of making good films, but they really ought to stick to the original storyline, and not invent an entirely new concept. Perhaps one or two of our American friends might like to make a comment themselves, or is it that they might feel that we Brits can outdo them when it comes to making such comments about films?