This site uses cookies.     
You are not logged in. Please login.

Login

We are sorry, but posting to this forum is temporarily disabled

Forum Index » Celebrity and Movie Discussions » Treasured Moments

United Kingdom
12 Feb 2013, 18:55
Of the many reasons why we enjoy watching the films that we do, the emotional effect that some have on us is probably the most forceful. With moments of sheer joy or anger and relief affecting us in a way that superficially involves us in the story, there are those of us who often voice our opinions: even if there is no one else in the room. We generate feelings of contempt and dislike for the actor who is mistreating a child or refusing to give love and affection when needed, and there are those of us who have strong feelings about children being physically hurt, unable to defend themselves. But when a situation arises whereby a child is made to feel wanted and loved, and he or she feels safe and is untroubled by loneliness or need of affection, these are treasured moments, often bringing tears to our eyes when the child, desperate for love and affection, is rewarded with such. One such film that springs to mind, where a mercenary and uncaring situation turns to salvation, is ‘Where Eskimos Live’: where an orphaned boy has to suffer the extremes of war and near starvation; is embroiled in a selfish act by a man who cares little or nothing for him, but eventually learns that there is such a thing as a caring adult, even though it takes a tremendous amount of effort to get there. This film is something of a cliff-hanger, but I like to think that the little ten year old boy does find love from the man who wanted only to make money from him. How do you, the other members of RFF feel about such emotions?

Peter Pan is alive and well, but which Peter Pan, I hear you ask?
Ireland
23 Feb 2013, 10:18
I quite agree with you, tompannerman. All children need love and affection, and I also agree with you about the end of Where Eskimos Live. A lovely film and it deserves more recognition than it has received on this site. What does surprise me is that I am the first to reply to this post of yours. Maybe others cannot recognise such human requirements as love and affection, or perhaps it is a sore point for them. Who knows?

Long Live World Cinema
United Kingdom
23 Feb 2013, 16:40
...and thank you again, Cognocenti. I simply don't know why there is such a lack of response to these posts; and not just mine, either. I think that what it might boil down to is that very few members actually speak English: which is quite understandable, considering that most members live in different parts of the world, but that does not excuse those who do speak English. It must be something in the water!

United Kingdom
25 Feb 2013, 01:07
Many thanks to tompannerman for this "Treasured moments" post and to cognoscenti for his/her reply. I think it is very important that as many members as possible contribute to the forum and bring to attention the wonderful films on the Rarefilmfinder database: it is such a varied collection and there is something here for everybody.

Your description of "Where Eskimos Live" has prompted me to get a copy of what sounds like a very moving film. When I have seen it I will add my comments.

Another moving film that deals with a child's search for love is "Sabine Kleist, Sieben Jahre" which I can recommend:

http://www.rarefilmfinder.com/showfilm.php?id=68

Let's hope for more suggestions from other members.
United Kingdom
25 Feb 2013, 10:13
Please forgive me, but I have to laugh. This particular Forum extension: ‘Celebrity and Movie Discussions’, has recently become a ‘Thank You’ exchange; but glad I am that it has at least opened the doors to further exchanges, and yet another ‘Thank You’ must be extended to you, MellowDramatic for your kind words.

I have not seen ‘Sabine Kleist, Seiben Jahre’, but judging by the initial blurb, it seems to fit in perfectly with my original thread on Love and Affection.

I am pleased also that one member: Erinthelass has made the sensible and truthful comment about the film, and especially the scene where the young girl is bathing.