Advanced Search

Author

USA
Posted: 5 Jun 2010, 20:22
Hello all, this is my first post and I hope I'm posting in the right forum with this. I've noticed that when it comes to child sexuality in cinema, heterosexuality gets a fairly wide berth when it comes to censorship and you can find hundreds of films dealing with this most common theme. It is not uncommon to see kissing and even making out in very little clothing and even implied sex ("Kids" for example).

When it comes to same-sex themes however, there seems to be an imbalance. You can find many titles featuring boy-boy or boy-man relationships, but precious few titles with girl-girl or girl-woman themes. I'm not a fan of the boy-boy or boy-man films, so I can't speak for the censorship in those films, but I know from the precious few girl-girl titles I've seen, that you are lucky to even see a kiss, and then it will only last a second or two. Any thoughts on where I might find more titles with the girl-girl theme, or why there are so few, and so heavily censored?
girlscout

UK
Posted: 6 Jun 2010, 23:56
Angela springs to mind at first. Both sisters share a kiss but your right, these sort of moments only last a few seconds.
Alfons

Denmark
Posted: 7 Jun 2010, 16:21
Well, then there's Fucking Åmal and Naissance des pieuvres, of the top pf my head, so the theme definitely is out there if you look. But it's true that it's not exactly a very common theme in films (and virtually non-existent in American films, of course).
However, I would not really say there's any more censorship in these films than others as such, because to me that word means that there was something in the film that has then been taken out, right? So, rare or subtle as this particular theme may be in films, it's not the same as active censoring, in my view.

Al.
ravergirl

USA
Posted: 12 Jun 2010, 23:10
yea. i've seen all of those and water lilies actually has a very nice, extended kiss and even a suggestion of masturbation. i'll make a list of the films i do know about later.

as for what censorship is, you make a good point, but for me it's not just what was there and then was removed, but also what is never even considered. i suppose you could call it preventive-censorship.
Joey

USA
Posted: 13 Jun 2010, 05:49
raven, censorship (at least to me) implies an intent behind not showing something. I think they don't do it because it is just not seen as profitable unless the kissing is between two hot overage actresses.

Joey