This site uses cookies.     
You are not logged in. Please login.

Login

We are sorry, but posting to this forum is temporarily disabled

Forum Index » Celebrity and Movie Discussions » Maribel y Tanger

Croatia
1 Sep 2019, 21:53
Among recently added movies I've notices "El sueño de Tánger" with Maribel Verdú as child actress that was a reason the movie was interesting for this site. However, if you look at the most trustful movie data source, IMDb, the movie was made in 1991. and Maribel had been born in 1970., so according to this information she was 21 when the movie was released. But the qoute that was written on this site made me intrigued so I made my small investigation. At the beginning nothing seemed to confirm her underage theory: all respectable sites were unique in agreeing with IMDb (including Allocite, Wikipedia and even Spanish Filmaffinity, while Rotten Tomatoes had no information). Wikipedia contains no article about the movie, but whatever language you use to read about Maribel you'll always find that she made it in 1991 after many other movies.

However I was still not convinced because the quoted article and interview with Maribel seemed very reliable and genuine (and I know that even IMDb accepted such sources as trustful when I sent corrections for certain movies and actors). Unfortunately, not a single actor or a crew member was too young to make movie in 1985 or died before 1991 so we could conclude that one of options might be impossible. But surfing along Wikipedia I found a significant number of pages in different languages where filmography of the other actors and crew don't put movie into 1991 (including even the director on Italian and Russian pages which say the movie was made in 1985 or 1986 respectively). One of leading Croatian movie sites belonging to art-movie theater offers Franco's biography where Tanger was put in 1986. Also, Apple's Itunes have a biography of the composer Alberto Iglesias where Tanger's year 1986 is not only listed in a line but emphasized within an article as an example of his "mid-80 work" while his work in 1991 had been on very different. (The soundtrack hadn't been recorded as an album so there is no information on Discogs).

If you try to opet sites that Googles offers you'll see that both years (1986 and 1991) are almost equally represented, some (including one Maribel's long biography) say the correct year was 1985. So I am very open to believing the statements from Maribel's interview, but I am very surprised that though there are so many sites that mention the movie, and this 5 (or even 6) years difference can't stay obscure and unnotices nobody ever tried to explain what is the reason for that. IMDb even informs us about the date (in 1991 of course) when the movie was released. I don't think this would be also a mistake, but what could make the delay in releasing the movie be so long (delays have been even decades beyond Iron Curtain, but it was due to politics and censorship). Any information, any idea?
Slovakia
4 Sep 2019, 17:57
'El sueño de Tánger' was filmed in 1985 but production delayed because of financial problems (please check "https://elpais.com/diario/1991/05/24/cultura/675036011_850215.html")
Croatia
5 Sep 2019, 00:04
Thanks! This is a great explanation (it took me quite a while to detect possibilities, I wonder how long it took you to find the complete answer!). But it's still hard to believe that there's a half of the decade gap between making and releasing a movie. There have been two years delays, but they are also rare and are considered bizarre, but five years - well, thanks again!