Advanced Search

Author

USA
Posted: 23 Jan 2019, 03:41
Back in the days of video rental stores, I once checked out a werewolf movie with Amanda Ooms as an adult werewolf, I believe it was made from a more complete UK tv miniseries? Anyway, this would be of interest because there were flashbacks to her character as a kid transforming and winding up nude in the woods - I THINK I recall her being topless or almost seen topless, and I wonder if anybody knows if the original series showed more?
maxloooser

Croatia
Posted: 3 Feb 2019, 22:44
It is possible that she had scenes you mention, but due to the fact she was over 20 at the time she had made them it is irrelevant for this site.
Anime Fan

USA
Posted: 2 Mar 2019, 00:14
I was not talking about Ooms nude scenes, which don't qualify - but those of Catherine Holman, the child actress playing her character as a kid, which would qualify. Both play the character Alice White, but Holman plays her as a child (in flashbacks), while Ooms plays the character as an adult.
maxloooser

Croatia
Posted: 3 Apr 2019, 22:28
Though I don't know the exact date od Holman's birth I doubt very much that she would "qualify" for this site, because she played Helen Keller in theatre two years before she acted in Wilderness, so she must have been 20+ doing it. Again, I can't prove it, but I won't waste my time trying to, because she also played in 1985 (11 years before Wilderness) a character that attends a Theater school - I really don't believe she could have played it if being under 7 y.o..
Anime Fan

USA
Posted: 4 Apr 2019, 03:46
I can easily prove she was not 20+. Let's say she was. Then when she appeared in the role of Helen Keller in the play "The Miracle Worker" in 1994, she would have to have been 18 or so. One unsurmountable problem: The play features only one actress playing the role of Helen - not one playing her as a child and another playing her as an adult. "O.k.", you say, "so she was Helen Keller as an adult." Nope. Look on Wikipedia for the Miracle Worker play - Helen appears only, repeat, only as a child in the play. Read the play description. Remember the famous scene with her teacher saying "It's water, Helen - it's water"? Child in that scene. Now, if my belief that she was 13 in 1996 are right, then she was 11 in 1994 - the perfect age to play Helen (Don't believe me, watch the movie "The Miracle Worker" - any of them. Only child Helen Kellers, not a single adult Helen.)
maxloooser

Croatia
Posted: 7 Apr 2019, 23:10
Sorry, but I have to do my best to disappoint you. The play Miracle Worker in 1994 was a revival of the same play put on stage three years before, and Helen Keller was played by Janine Faye, 21 at the time - so, it was not a child role, and both actresses were the only Helen Keller (no Helen as child role and other actress in adult one), and as this was a direct repeating of the same play, so it would be expected to have a girl of similar age in the same role.

But even if we can't tell this for sure, and if we accept your theory that she was 11 playing Helen, then she, having her first role 9 years before that, must have been 2 y.o. when she was among the main characters in serial From the Top. A perfect age for a student in Theatre school?

If you still have any doubts watch the show on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Lo0DtPBz-w. If you can see a 2y.o. girl let me know. But Holman's character's name was Janis and at exactly 7:00 you can hear another actress (professor, I guess) adressing to a student as Janis, and as there is no other Janis in the serial we can only assume the girl she was talking to was Holman. The conclusion is up to you.
Anime Fan

USA
Posted: 8 Apr 2019, 06:30
O.K. I watched it and Holman does look about 13 or so already in "From the Top", so could not be 13 in Wilderness. Which puzzles the hell out of me since whoever I saw in those flashbacks sure looked like a minor to me. Now I'm wondering if IMDB didn't screw up and list the wrong actress as playing Alice White in the flashbacks... Also, why the hell would they cast an adult in "The Miracle Worker" when all the significant events occur when she is a child? Is the audience supposed to accept her as child Helen? Did they move the events forward in time to her adulthood? Or did they just omit those events altogether and pick up when she's an adult? I accept that they did it, but ... WHY? ... Anyway, you win - congratulations. Sorry for wasting your time.
maxloooser

Croatia
Posted: 10 Apr 2019, 04:11
No problem, I often take time to correct wrong information, including on IMDb (and, if important to us, I've informed RRF about that).

As for age of Helman in role od Helen Keller - the age of actors is often very different from the one that would be expected for the role. Leslie Howard was 46 playing Romeo and his Juliet, Norma Shearer, was 34 (instead of 15 and 13 respectively). Basil Rathbortne as Tybalt was really Romeo's peer being 46 as well, and Mercutio, Romeo's friend (so most likely even if a bit older still being a teenager) was played by John Barrymoore who died only 6 years later at the age of 60!

Though later, especially in 70's and 80's this has been changes, at least in Europe, nowadays again actors and actresses being 23, 25 or more play 12 or 13 y.o. characters.

But in theatre the situation is different. Though some kids managed to play in their early years it is still difficult to hire a schoolchild for the role that needs dayly appearing on evening stages and maybe even tours when this kid has his school obligations. As Miracle Workes was an ambitious project maybe producers simply didn't want to risk giving so difficult role to a child that, due to the role, can't be easily and quickly replaced.

As for Wilderness, I haven't seen it, so I don't have any idea of (always possible) mistake on IMDb.
Anime Fan

USA
Posted: 10 Apr 2019, 04:34
Thanks. And again, I apologize. I just couldn't make sense of it. By my math, Holman must then have been around 16 when she was playing Scout in the play "To Kill a Mockingbird" - crazy IMO, given the age of the character in the book and film. I guess I am just ignorant of how they do things in stage plays! (I know that they do sometimes use young children, as I attended a performance of "The King and I" and in one of the scenes, a group of young girls around ages 9 or 10 would descent from the stage and each sing to one of the patrons in the front rows - I was one of the patrons this happened to.)

Also, awesome you know the correct ages for Romeo and Juliette. My mother one commented that the actors in a performance where they were in their early 20s were "too young" - I had to suppress the urge to tell her they were too OLD, and that Juliette was 13.)

I will have to watch "Wilderness" again if possible - maybe my mind was playing tricks on me!
maxloooser

Croatia
Posted: 12 Apr 2019, 00:08
Yes, there are no rules and you can never tell in advance what the producers' decision will be, either if making a movie or a stage show. Though it is more likely to use older actors in theaters (you can get a great performance from a child once but it is often hard to get it repeated, especially in long terms, and there is always a risk of colliding obligations, and today some child protecting organizations look for legal ways to forbid it becaus of alleged exploitation of kids) there is no rule, and many actors have started playing in theatres as young children only later becoming movie stars. So, when talking about Helen Keller and Miracle Worker, Patty Duke played Helen at 16 after three years playing it consecutively on stage (starting therefore at 13). But it was in lat 50's... kids were allowed to be kids and parents to be parents...